Requests for Proposals:
As the official organization for Montgomery County’s economic development, Montgomery County Economic Development Corporation (MCEDC) issues Requests for Proposals (RFPs) for work it needs to have done for the betterment of the County. There are no open RFPs at this time.
Job Description: Small and Minority Business Development Manager
The Montgomery County Economic Development Corporation (MCEDC) brings a big and bold approach to achieving greater economic competitiveness and prosperity across Montgomery County, MD.
A 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with a fresh public/private perspective, entrepreneurial spirit, and proactive approach to economic development, the MCEDC is focused on maximizing Montgomery County’s rich diversity of people, talent, and business expertise to keep the county at the leading edge of today’s hyper-competitive economic development environment.
Overseen by a Board of Directors with both public and private representation, the MCEDC is committed to upholding and enhancing the County’s vibrant business community and leveraging current strengths and advantages to build an even stronger, more stable, and diverse future economy that benefits all members of the community.
The Small and Minority Business Development Manager is a full-time, key member of the MCEDC’s business development team who is responsible for outreach to minority and ethnic chambers of commerce and other business groups, and responsible for community and business development outreach in underserved communities. The Small and Minority Business Manager serves as the key liaison to small and minority business groups, underserved communities, and other key constituents, and develops partnerships and programs to serve them.
- Conduct proactive outreach to minority and ethnic chambers of commerce and other business groups to learn about their constituencies, services and priorities, and to inform them of the economic development assistance provided by MCEDC and its partners.
- Initiate meetings and conduct strategic and effective presentations with representatives of local business and community organizations to cultivate partnerships and generate new opportunities for the MCEDC to help grow jobs and the business tax base.
- Collaborate with local communities by proactively participating in on-site meetings that include a variety of local officials, stakeholders, general public and other interested parties; and continuously build and maintain a collaborative relationship with partners and client communities.
- Research the local community to identify small and minority business and community groups, and identify opportunities for creative partnerships.
- Create and implement partnership programs and initiatives that build stronger, more aligned collaboration among the MCEDC and partner organizations.
- Become familiar with the full range of economic development assistance provided by MCEDC and its partner organizations, and identify and develop tools and resources for community partners.
- Provide technical advice and guidance on economic development programs and initiatives to community organizations, elected officials, citizens and others to assist with their planning, execution and implementation of programs and community development needs and initiatives.
- Through regular ongoing engagement with residents and community leaders, identify community needs and service gaps. Develop community organizing strategies to increase business and resident involvement in economic development activities that address community issues/concerns.
Required knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure, to meet tight deadlines within budgetary constraints, and to handle multiple projects simultaneously and autonomously
- Ability to garner respect and trust from community and business leaders, elected officials, and a wide variety of stakeholders
- Ability to understand the viewpoint of minority and underserved communities
- Excellent coalition building skills, organizing skills and mediation/negotiation skills, including the ability to inspire trust and motivate and negotiate with community members and partners, and a key understanding of how to engage communities in a responsible and honorable way
- Superb communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to listen actively and present clearly and effectively in positive or negative situations, and to respond well to questions
- Writes clearly and informatively and varies writing style to meet needs
- Independent and strategic thinker with the capacity to generate new ideas and act creatively
- Strong team player
- Ability to represent MCEDC at community-based events and meetings
- Comfortable organizing interns and volunteers
- Adaptable to changes in the work environment, managing competing demands, changing approaches or methods to best fit the situation, and dealing with frequent changes or unexpected events.
- Holds a valid U.S. driver’s license
Preferred education and experience:
- Professional experience working in community collaborations or coalitions
- Experience working in an entrepreneurial environment
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 3+ years of relevant experience
- Familiarity with standard office equipment, and with Microsoft Office Suite
- Foreign language fluency—ideally applicants will be proficient in one or more languages that are relevant in the local business community (such as Spanish, French, Amharic)
Description of physical demands and work environment:
- Must be able to travel throughout the county to partner organizations, meetings and events
- Must be able to occasionally travel outside of the region to events and trade shows
- Must be able to use office equipment and computers
- Position may require moderate lifting of supplies and materials from time to time
- The working environment is a general office environment with a moderate noise level
Job Type: Full-time
Job Location: Montgomery County, MD
Required education: Bachelor’s Degree
Required experience: 3+ years of relevant experience
Salary: Salary commensurate with experience
Please send cover letter & CV to Jacob Sesker at JSesker@choosemontgomerycountymd.com.
Montgomery County Economic Development Corporation is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.